Advisory Report 26: Science Communication Policy Plan 2022-2030
VARIO finds the policy plan positive in many respects and at the same time identifies a number of growth opportunities
Deputy Minister-President of the Government of Flanders Hilde Crevits asked VARIO for advice on the Science Communication Policy Plan 2022-2030. VARIO attaches great importance to excellent science communication and finds the policy plan positive in many respects. Additionally, VARIO identifies a number of growth opportunities:
- Embed science communication as much as possible in the current societal context with the ambition to make Flanders a top region;
- Get more out of all possible partners in science communication policy: individual researchers, research institutions, university colleges, VRT (Flemish Radio & Television), companies and sectors, and education;
- Work more from a demand-driven perspective, and develop strategies for specific target groups such as girls, disadvantaged groups, under the age of twelve, the 12-18 years olds, and so on;
- Pay extra attention to STEM, to language and reading (comprehension) and to interdisciplinarity;
- Elaborate on how the policy plan can promote scientific literacy among the general population.