Advisory report 6: Value creation by cooperation
VARIO provided his new advisory report ‘Value creation by cooperation’ to the Flemish minister of innovation Philippe Muyters on Friday the 22th of March.
In a knowledge economy, the development of scientific knowledge and technology is the direct source of innovation. Cooperation between academic researchers and companies is crucial to convert new scientific knowledge and technology into new products and services to promote international competitiveness and job creation. Therefore, VARIO took the initiative to examine the topic of cooperation in Flanders in more detail. Various instruments and structures are in place to promote cooperation for innovation, in particular the spearhead clusters, strategic research centres, SBO projects, ICON projects, Baekeland and innovation mandates. VARIO believes that cooperation between knowledge institutions and with companies should be further strengthened in order to stimulate value creation.
- Create a shared global vision as facilitator for cooperation
- Make sure competition makes room for cooperation
- Develop smart paramaters and KPIs
- Facilitate interdisciplinary cooperation
- Mobility of researchers as leverage for cooperation
- Ensure a good balance between top-down and bottom-up initiatives on the one hand, and thematic focal points and free research on the other hand
- Keep access to instruments and cooperation easily accessible